A town about 30 minute drive north of Toronto, Newmarket real estate offers some great opportunities.
Newmarket is a town about a 20-30 minute drive north of Toronto and sometimes referred to as the gateway to cottage country. The population is around 80,000 as of 2011. Many Newmarket residents commute to Toronto and its surrounding communities. It’s a short drive west to the 400, or east to the 404 Highways. Over the next decade it’s expected to have all-day Go Train service as well.
Newmarket’s history can be traced back to a portage route between Lake Ontario and Lake Simcoe in the early 1700s, over the years it gained a sizable population from Quaker families who had left their homes in Vermont and Pennsylvania ahead of the American revolution, and later played a central role in William Lyon Mackenzie’s Rebellion of 1837.
As well as Go Train service, Newmarket is served by York Regional Transit and the Viva bus network, including a rapid bus service now under construction.
In 2013, MoneySense magazine ranked Newmarket in its “Canada’s Best Places” feature number 10 out of 200 Canadian cities and 4th in their Top 10 Small Canadian Cities.
- Green community LEED Platinum subdivision and with 44km of trails
- Healthcare at the Southlake Regional Health Centre
- Easy access to all major highways, a skilled workforce and supportive business environment
- Low crime rates
- Over 6,500 recreation programs and more than 300 special events
- Advanced transit network currently under construction
Newmarket Real Estate
Real Estate Outlook
- For houses, Newmarket is the 72th most expensive in Ontario with a average price of $750,000 (June 2016); the median for Ontario is $369,900 as of June.
In The News
- Housing Market Remains Difficult for Millennials
- Toronto’s hot housing market drives big bidding wars in suburbs
Brokers and Real Estate Agents Newmarket
Newmarket Real Estate Lawyers
Newmarket Real Estate Listing Sites
Looking to buy a bit further north? See the Barrie real estate page.