How much does landscaping increase the value of your home depends on several factors that we’ll cover in this article.
A beautiful view from the street can help increase the value of your home and extend your property values as well as the neighbourhood’s value.
If you’re in Toronto or the GTA, several Landscaping Toronto companies can help you with the design and do the (literal) heavy lifting for you.
What is Curb Appeal and Why is it Important
How your home looks on the outside builds potential buyers’ anticipation for what’s inside. Curb appeal refers to the visual attractiveness of a house as seen from the street. Curb appeal also applies to the exterior of the home as well as the landscaping, outdoor fixtures, sidewalks, and driveway.
A survey done by HomeLight found that over 3/4 of real estate agents agreed that improving the curb appeal is often the number one thing a homeowner can do to boost the marketability of their home.
Curb appeal isn’t just limited to the front entrance, in the back yard, an interlocking patio is something that can add value to your home, making it a valuable investment.
According to John Gidding, host of Curb Appeal on HGTV, said “I have always heard the number 150 per cent…But to me, that is conservative. On a ‘Curb Appeal’ project, I put in $20,000, and the sellers got $200,000 more than they had paid for the house just a year prior. The return was astonishing.”
What are some of the things a landscaper can do to increase your home’s value? A professional landscaper can do several things, including:
- Cut and edge your grass. This can also include trimming bushes and trees. A professional landscaper knows how short to cut the grass too to prevent brown spots and reduce weeds.
- Apply fresh mulch. Mulch helps the soil retain moisture, giving them a fresh look, and reduce weed growth.
- Add beauty to your yard with groupings of flowers. Adding potted flowers or other plants that intrigue buyers with their colours.
- Make your backyard a peaceful retreat. Sellers might understandably focus on the front yard, don’t neglect the garden. Using plants of various sizes can create a calm space to relax in.
- Clean and stain the deck. Keeping your deck maintained is a laborious task, but can make your deck enjoyable for you, and impress potential buyers.
- Don’t neglect the patio. Keeping it clean and well maintained makes it comfortable for you and your family to enjoy while making it attractive to buyers.
- Reduce nearby street noise. If you’re near a busy road, installing bushes or trees can cut noise levels by 20% to 30%, according to the American National Association of Landscape Professionals (NALP), a water fountain produces “white noise” that can help mask unwanted sounds like traffic. According to HomeAdvisor, these can cost as little as $50 (US)
Of course, if you’re handy with tools and the time to money to spare, you could do many of these on your own. Still, professional landscapers are professionals that have experience doing difficult tasks like building a deck or installing patio stones that most of us don’t.
How else can I increase my property value?
Regular maintenance on the exterior of your home, can help prevent more extensive, and costly, repairs in the future.
A few simple, and low-bost, things you can do to improve your home’s curb appeal including:
- Keep the lawn mowed and edge the lawn. Weed the flower beds, seed the lawn. Also, apply a new layer of mulch to the lawn. Sweep any sidewalks and driveways regularly.
- Replace light bulbs as neeed, clean windows and any glass panels. Pressure wash siding and remove dust and cobwebs from outdoor fixtures.
- Repaint any chips on the trim to the house, front door or posts and repair or replace any damaged posts.
How much should you spend on landscaping?
- In general, the more expensive your home, the more money and attention you should spend on your landscape. Consider the money invested a multiplier effect.
- According to the American Society of Landscape Architects (ASLA), spending 10% of your home’s value in landscaping is a good investment. Other studies have suggested that you can increase your home’s value by 5% to 15% by spending the equivalent percentage on landscape maintenance and upgrades.