Fiverr is one of the best know (and longest-running) gig websites around. We’re going to show you how to stand out on Fiverr.
Fiverr first started back in 2010 and has grown to become one of the best know gig websites. That popularity means there is a lot of competition out there. You are competing against thousands of other sellers, many offering the same things.
On Fiverr, you can find anything for $5, so competing on price is just not worth it unless it’s something you can do in 10 minutes or so.
Instead, the way to make money on Fiverr is to look for things that you are in a unique position to offer or an underserved niche that you can stand out in.
The first step should be to make a list of skills you have that could be packaged as a gig. Ideally, these should be things you enjoy doing too. This last part is important because buyers want to buy from
Next, study your competition. Figure out what works for other sellers, and find ways to make those things work for you too. Check Fiverr’s forum for help on what other sellers are experiencing and tips.
When you’re creating a gig, don’t just copy the successful gigs word for word, also never copy images from other gigs and try to pass them off as your own.
Instead, write things in your words. Be clear what you are offering. Be clear what you are NOT offering. The key to a successful gig, and hopefully a repeat customer, is giving them what they expect.
Top 10 Tips
- Look what other sellers are selling in your niche. If you’re a writer and others are offering 400 words for one gig, go above that and offer a five hundred word gig.
- Offer a 24-hour turnaround. Sometimes buyers are in a rush, and this will help you stand out right away. Just be sure you can deliver on your promise.
- Don’t copy the bestsellers, but use their gigs as a model of what to include in a successful gig.
- Use attractive images. There are plenty of websites to find free photos, and you can use a simple editor like PicMonkey to add text to your pictures.
- As a new seller, you need to build up a reputation. Use the gallery to showcase examples of your work. If you’re offering photo editing, upload some of your best work so others can see your work.
- Pick simple gigs you can do well when you’re just getting started. Don’t go after anything too complicated. Pick something that’s you can turnaround quickly.
- Check your spelling and grammar before posting. Even if a gig sounds excellent, customers will think twice if the description is full of errors. This is very important if you are offering a service like writing. Re-read it out loud after you’ve written it, maybe send it to several friends to have them read it before you hit publish. Tools like Grammarly can help too.
- When someone sends you a message and asks for clarification, take that response and incorporate it into your gig description because chances are if something isn’t clear to someone, others are having a hard time understanding you as well.
- Continue adding new gigs regularly. If at all possible, use the maximum amount of gigs you are allowed to post.
- Take advantage of those gig extras! With a writing gig that offers 300 words for $5, you can provide 500 words for $10 or 750 words for $15. Also, be sure to give an option for a quick turnaround. It’s not uncommon that someone will pay you an extra $20, or more, just to get something delivered within 24 hours.
How Can I Make My Gig Stand Out?
As in any business, you can compete in several ways. Price is the first thing that comes to mind, but this is not always the best way as you’re potentially competing with hundreds of people who will write an article or design a logo for $5.
Instead, what is something unique you can offer? If you’re in a major tourist city, there might be things like original photos – easy if London Bridge, the Hollywood sign or something instantly recognizable is a short trip for you.
What Sells Best on Fiverr?
As a side note, Fiverr has its list of “popular” services – through a quick look shows it seems just to be gigs that include the word “popular” in their descriptions – still that’s one way to get in front of customers. This also works for “amazing” too.
What Should I Put for Fiverr Description?
First off, tell the buyer exactly what they can expect when they order your gig. Avoid too much “hard sell” – your customer is already looking for a product like you’re offering. Your goal should be to be clear on what you are providing and give them confidence that you are the best choice to spend their money on.
Tip: make sure your spelling and grammar are proper, nothing turns customers off than a gig description that is hard to read and full of with spelling errors.
We’ve written a complete guide on what to put in your Fiverr gig description here.
When you’re Fiverr’s popularity has made some categories very competitive, by focusing on your unique skills, you can still stand out.