A label maker is one of those devices that many people can’t live without. It can quickly print labels making it easier to identify items around your workspace, home or school. Investing in a good label maker can be a great way to save on time and increase the organisation quotient in your life.
Table of Contents
- These are the main features you should look for in a label maker:
- 10 Top Label Makers
- Brady BMP21-PLUS Handheld Label Printer
- Brother Printer PTD600 PC Connectible Label Maker
- Brother P-touch Easy Hand-Held Label Maker (PT-H100)
- Epson LabelWorks LW-400 Label Maker
- Brother P-Touch PT-D210 Label Maker
- Epson LabelWorks LW-300 Label Maker
- DYMO LT-100H Handheld Label Maker, Office/Home
- Brother P-touch Home and Office Labeler (PT-D200)
- Label Makers for PCs
By increasing efficiency, a label maker can help you find items stored away for a long time or put away for quick access. Label makers are available in various sizes and have different features, and you should invest in one only after analysing your requirements and finding a device that matches them.
These are the main features you should look for in a label maker:
- Keyboard – The device’s keyboard should be large enough to type quickly and easy to use by everyone.
- Display – The display screen is usually small, so it is essential that you can read what you are typing clearly.
- Being portable – A portable label maker is more likely to get used than a bulky one. Remember that higher-end smaller label makers can have just as many features as the larger ones.
- Power – Does the device run on batteries, or do you have to plug it in or can it work on both power sources? Choose a type that suits your needs.
- Text sizes and different fonts – Does the label maker have options for changing the text size and an array of fonts to choose from?
- Labels and ink – having extra labels and ink cartridges on hand is essential. Ensuring they are easy to procure and find can be a good idea.
- Environment – If it’s going to be used on a factory floor, maybe look for something durable, or if used outside, would the user be wearing gloves and need a model with a larger keyboard?
Other features available in label makers and can be necessary for your work include specific symbols and pictures of bar-coding. Fabric labels require a particular label that may not be suitable for all label makers. Most of these models will fit your needs. The Brother QL-700 and DYMO LabelManager are designed to be connected to PCs (or Macs), while most feature a keyboard.
10 Top Label Makers
Here are some of the best ones on the market at this time. We’ve based them on user reviews and ratings.
The Brady is an industrial-use label maker with a sturdy keyboard and LCD. It has 70 label parts from 8 robust materials, runs on 6 AA batteries, and has an LI-ON battery and an AC adapter. This is probably the best choice here for harsh environments. If you’re looking for one with a larger keyboard, consider the Brady BMP51.
This device has a backlit display, many options, colossal memory, a QWERTY keyboard, Connects to a computer, is fast, and uses laminated Tze tape cartridges.
This is a reliable device with one-touch keys, pre-designed label temps, and memory. It also has an auto-off feature and durable laminated Tze tapes. Note it doesn’t have a QWERTY keyboard (A, B, C, D.., instead), so it might take a bit of time to get used to.
The Epson LabelWorks LW-400 Label Maker comes with a backlit display, can type 4 lines and create many options, including speciality labels. It cuts tape waste by 60% and is noiseless.
With its intuitive interface and variety of options, this is a great buy. It comes with pre-designed label templates and has good memory while being lightweight and durable.
The Epson LabelWorks LW-300 Label Maker has an array of options, memory, easy setup and use, multilingual, battery or AC adapter.
This is a Handheld Label Maker suitable for office and home uses. It has a compact and sleek design while being portable, and its clear LCD makes it easy to read.
The Brother P-touch Home and Office Labeler (PT-D200) is a Multipurpose Label Maker with one-touch keys, a wide array of options, batteries/AC adapter, two text lines, memory and a chance to preview before printing. It has fewer fonts than the D210.
Label Makers for PCs
DYMO LabelManager Label Maker is a Plug N Play device suitable for both PC and Mac. It is computer-compatible and has several label formats apart from a QWERTY keyboard and a lightweight, rechargeable Lithium battery, and it is a durable device.
The Brother QL-700 is an ultra-fast label maker with an automatic cutter, and it creates free stamps and prints continuous tape rolls. It is also cost-efficient, needing no ink or toner. It has software to print from Microsoft Word, Excel and Outlook, and you can also download pre-designed labels.
A good label maker can save you time and increase efficiency. Hopefully, we’ve helped you find one.