Owning a pet is something special, but having a cat is a whole different ballgame. Unlike dogs or other four-legged companions, cats can have personalities that border on domineering at times, and they can be the sweetest animals in the world at other times.
If you have a cat running around your home, you know how difficult it is to keep a sanitary and fresh smelling environment. From litter boxes to fur brushes, many products are available that can improve your cat’s hygiene.
The best cat litter is essential in keeping your environment clean and healthy. Not all cat litters are the same, so you must inform yourself about those which can best suit your needs.
The wrong cat litter can also cause unwanted problems with your pet, who may not take to it. Cats are very finicky creatures, and you should give them the proper care they deserve. A pet is a profound emotional investment, and if you do not take care of it responsibly, it will negatively affect the animal’s quality of life.
This buying guide will break down several cat litter products which are well worth looking into. We have done all the footwork for you and will provide you with the information necessary to make an informed decision as a pet owner and consumer.
What is the best cat litter for your cat’s litter box? Well, all you have to do is keep on reading to find out. The following are our picks for the best cat litter, which exhibit top qualities.
Best Clumping Cat Litter
Winner – Dr. Elsey’s Ultra Premium Clumping Cat Litter
- All Natural Clumping Cat Litter
- Contains No Deodorants or Perfumes
- Heavy Non-Tracking Granules for Less Mess
- 99% Dust Free
- Stops Moisture from Seeping to Bottom of Litter Box
- Compatible with Mechanical Sifting Litter Boxes
- Premium Odor Control
- Item Weight: 40 lbs
We have rated Dr Elsey’s Ultra Clumping Cat Litter as the best natural cat litter on the market. This item has several beneficial features which will keep your cat litter box properly maintained. It utilizes a proven combination of materials that will keep your cat’s litter situation completely under control and managed.
This Ultra Litter product is formulated with a unique combination consisting of medium grey clay with the heavy non-tracking granules of the Classic Litter.
The successful result of this combination is one of the best odour control cat litter, which stops the moisture dead in its tracks from travelling down to the bottom of the tray. Simultaneously, this litter also provides a clump that does not break down into smaller pieces.
- PREMIUM QUALITY: A combination of premium texture and granule size made with 100% bentonite clay for maximum clumping creates litter particles that are just the right size.
- LOW DUST: Ideal for cats and owners who suffer from allergies with a 99.9% dust-free and hypoallergenic litter formulation.
- HARD CLUMPING: Hard clumping medium grain clay helps prevent moisture from reaching the bottom of the tray and forms hard clumps that won't break down, making it easier to scoop.
- SUPERIOR ODOR CONTROL: Formulated for single or multi-cat households with natural ingredients to keep your home smelling clean and fresh between litter box cleanings.
- LOW TRACKING: A unique formulation of medium grain clay helps keep litter in the box where it belongs.
This product was presentation was made with AAWP plugin.
This product is ideal if you have more than one or more cats, as it can handle litter from multiple pets effectively. It is also recommended for those cat owners who utilize a mechanical or sifting litter box. We rate Ultra as the best cat litter for multiple cats.
And of course, this advanced combination of ingredients provides a high level of odour control which will keep your home smelling fresh and clean at all times.
Also, there are no harmful chemicals, deodorants or perfumes used in the product, and it is also hypoallergenic. You can rest assured with Ultra, you and your cat have the protection of a premium cat litter product.
Runner Up – Arm & Hammer Clump & Seal Cat Litter
- Innovative Groundbreaking Patented Formula Seals and Destroys Odors on Contact
- Platinum Formula Which Is 100% Dust Free
- Rock Hard Clumps From Plant Derived Particles
- Odor-Free Home Guaranteed For Seven Days
- Ideal For Multi-Cat Homes
- Item Weight: 41 lbs
The next cat litter on the list is from a company with a long history of manufacturing a product that has kept refrigerator odours at bay: Arm & Hammer.
The Arm & Hammer Clump & Seal Cat Litter gets high ratings for the results derived from its patented formula. Coming from a name you can trust, this product is certain to control your cat’s litter effectively.
Arm & Hammer has come up with one of the best clumping cat litter products on the market, as it incorporates a revolutionary combination of ingredients. Consisting of plant-derived particles, Clump & Seal creates rock-solid clumps and are ideal for easy scooping.
- 10% more odor eliminators than our Clump & Seal fresh scent. Clump and Seal Cat Litter Multicat Platinum odor control clumping cat litter has powerful odor eliminators plus ARM & HAMMER Baking Soda. Strong enough for multi-cat households
- 100% dust free platinum formula kitty litter. Zero dust cloud when you pour it. Even our largest size, Clump & Seal Platinum Multicat cat litter, is 100% dust-free. Powerful cat litter odor control so it’s strong enough for multi-cat homes
- 7 day odor-free home, Guaranteed. Clump & Seal MultiCat clumping cat litter. Get the cat odor control benefits of having a cat odor eliminating litter box. So effective, it’s guaranteed to keep your home odor-free for 7 days
- Patented formula seals and destroys odors on contact. Complete odor-sealing clumping cat litter, a breakthrough in odor control. Unique technology forms a tight seal around odor and destroys it with powerful odor eliminators and Baking Soda
- Rock hard clumps for easy scooping. Clumping cat litter with plant-derived particles that help create rock solid cat litter clumping. Moisture-activated Micro-Granules form tight seal around waste without cat litter crystals or cat litter pellets
This product was presentation was made with AAWP plugin.
This product works because the micro-granules are activated with moisture and form a tight seal that effectively surrounds and covers the cat waste.
The odours are then destroyed on contact by the baking soda and heavy-duty odour removers. Also, this product is dust-free, which means that the particles do not fly in the air when used.
This product is ideal for use in a home with multiple cats, as it has the strength to neutralize odours effectively. There is also a 7-day guarantee of an odour-free home that comes with it. When looking for the best cat litter for odour control, Arm & Hammer is right up there with the best of them.
Alternative – Purina Tidy Cats 4-in-1 Strength Clumping Cat Litter
- Infiltrates, Neutralizes and Eliminates Urine, Ammonia and Fecal Odors
- Easy Cleanup With Powerful Clumping Action
- Keeps Your Cat Comfortable and Dry By Locking In Moisture
- 99.6% Dust-Free Formula
- Designed For Multiple-Cat Households
- Promotes a Fresh and Clean Smell
- Item Weight: 42.5 lbs.
The next entry in best odour control cat litter is from a reputable name known for cat food and other premium cat products, Purina. The Tidy Cats 4-in-1 Strength Clumping Cat litter scores high marks in controlling cat litter. This product is sure to deliver a quick knockout blow to tough odours, keeping your home fresh smelling.
Tidy Cats is created with a unique formula for the three main offenders of urine, faecal and ammonia odours. It utilizes a strong clumping action which assists in making cleanup swift and easy. It’s 99.6% dust-free composition minimizes the mess when pouring, helping to keep your home clean.
This product ensures to leave your cat’s litter box clean and to smell fresh, which effectively encourages your pet to use the box daily. It seals in moisture, keeping your loving pet comfortable and dry.
This cat litter is durable and will stand up to daily use. Ideal for homes that house multiple cats, the Purina Tidy Cats quad-action formula will help take care of your loving pet.
Best Natural Cat Litter
sWheat Scoop Fast-Clumping All-Natural Cat Litter
- All Natural Fast-Clumping Cat Litter
- Contains No Perfumes or Dyes
- 100% Biodegradable
- Recommended by Vets
- Long Lasting Powerful Odor Control
- Item Weight: 36 lbs
Since there is a big trend towards green products, an all-natural cat litter makes a lot of sense in that it keeps harmful chemicals away from your cherished pet and out of your home.
Environmentally friendly cat litter, which is produced sustainably, is something that pet owners should look into. New products are constantly entering the market, and they are staying loyal to the green revolution.
The more traditional types of cat litter are made from clay processed from strip mining, which damages the environment. The process involves uprooting trees, shrubs, and wildlife to gain sufficient access to the resources underneath. Strip mining does not only disrupt plants and animals significantly; it creates pollution issues.
- Fast Clumping Litter: Absorbent, all-natural wheat starch formula forms clumps fast to trap odors on contact; The formula's fast-acting clumping makes scooping and flush clean-up easy; Enzymes naturally neutralize odors for long-lasting odor control
- Single Cat Odor Control: No more smelly litter boxes; Made from flushable, biodegradable wheat, its odor-fighting natural starches and enzymes trap cat odors on contact and neutralize urine and ammonia odors quickly without any artificial fragrances
- All Natural: sWheat Scoop eliminates odors using natural wheat plant extracts instead of harmful chemicals; With no added dyes or perfumes, Multi-Cat, Premium+, Wheat and Corn and Fast Clumping are 100 percent biodegradable and flushable
- Farm Grown, Not Mined: While traditional litter is made of clay that is processed through environmentally damaging strip mining, sWheat Scoop is farmer grown, ground up and then bagged for purchase
- sWheat Scoop: In 1994, we set out to create a litter that would be safer for pets, people, and the environment without sacrificing performance; What resulted is a renewable, biodegradable and flushable product
This product was presentation was made with AAWP plugin.
Traditional cat litter can also be hazardous in that it may contain harmful chemicals like crystalline silica and sodium bentonite, which you may not want near your cat or home. sWheat Scoop All-Natural Cat Litter offers an effective green solution where the environment is not disrupted, and the health of you and your cat is the top priority.
This product is grown by farmers and made from naturally renewable wheat. Odours are neutralized by the natural wheat enzymes on contact to keep your home smelling fresh. The wheat starches firmly clump up for easy scooping, and the product is 100% biodegradable.
If you are looking to join the green revolution (or have already entered it), this best natural cat litter scores high in that regard. You owe it to you and your cat to live naturally and enjoy life without any added chemicals which may be harmful over an extended period of use.
When it comes to the environment, we all have to do our part, and sWheat All-Natural Cat Litter plays a key role.
Best Cat Litter For Multiple Cats
Fresh Step Multi-Cat With Febreze Scented Clumping Cat Litter
- Guaranteed to Prevent Bacterial Odor for Up to 10 Days
- Odor Is Trapped By Carbon Which Is Activated
- Fragrance Released When Activated by Paw
- Tight Clumping Cat Litter
- Fast and Easy Cleanup
- Item Weight: 42.5 lbs
Not everybody has just one cat in the home. If you are a huge cat lover and have a number of them under your care, you will require a powerful multi-cat litter that can prevent even the strongest odours from invading your home. This type of cat litter is designed to handle a high traffic litter box that will see plenty of use.
The Fresh Step Multi-Cat Clumping Cat Litter is the best cat litter for multiple cats on the market that can keep even the busiest litter boxes under proper control. This very effective product lasts long and zaps those unseemly odours immediately, so they never make it in the air.
- CLUMPING LITTER: Fight litter box odors with the strength of the original Fresh Step Odor Shield Litter partnered with the power of Febreze in our easy to scoop, clumping clay cat litter
- ODOR CONTROL CAT LITTER: Specially formulated for the stinkiest litter boxes, this Fresh Step litter has a 10-day odor control guarantee with activated charcoal that traps and eliminates kitty litter odor
- LOW DUST LITTER: For cleaner surfaces and clearer air, we developed a low dust formula that’s paw activated fragrance is released every time your cat uses the litter box in four compact, convenient resealable packs that make litter easy to carry, pour and store
- SCOOPABLE KITTY LITTER: Make cleaning easy with the clumping formula that absorbs liquid and forms tight clumps leaving behind no stinky crumbles with ClumpLock technology
- FRESH STEP CAT LITTER: Made for extreme litter box odors, this scented Fresh Step scoopable cat litter is created with your cats health and happiness in mind
This product was presentation was made with AAWP plugin.
The composition of this cat litter product contains carbon, which can stop bacterial odour in its tracks for up to a total of ten days. With the tight clumping clay, maintenance is a breeze and super easy. This premium product can trapping odours, quickly absorbing liquids, and creating tight clumps that will leave no smelly crumbles behind.
The famous well-known Febreze scent is activated by the cat’s paws every time the litter box is used, providing sufficient odour control which will not overpower your home.
Since it could be challenging to keep households with multiple cats smelling clean and fresh, Fresh Step provides the necessary ammunition to attack those unsavoury odours.
What To Pay Attention To When Choosing The Best Cat Litter
You will find several vital features to focus on when deciding which cat litter is best for your cat and home. There are differences between all the products, and it is best to know about them before selecting one which is right for you.
Looking into these issues in advance can save you a great deal of time and aggravation down the road. You want to ensure that the cat litter you select does the job without harming your cat or household environment. Your home is a place that should be free of unnecessary chemicals, which can cause long-term issues.
We have gone through these issues one by one and have summarized their role when selecting a cat litter for your needs. The following is a complete breakdown of what to look out for to ensure you get the problem that can best handle your pet’s needs.
How Long The Cat Litter Lasts
Long-lasting cat litter is important in that it saves you time and money from having to replace the cat litter frequently. In addition, a long-lasting cat litter ensures that your cut will be encouraged to continue utilizing the litter box and not be turned off by it. It also helps keep the home free of odours, ensuring they are properly smothered by the litter.
Many cat litters can range anywhere from seven to ten days in staying fresh, which is a decent amount of time and does not require you to change the litter box very often. Since cleanup is not the most pleasant of tasks, a long-lasting cat litter adds value to the product.
Regarding odour removal, you should find out how the product removes odours and what is used. The odour removal should be fast-acting and cover your cat’s waste and seal it so the litter box remains odour-free. There are different odours from cat waste, and you should make sure the litter is effective in neutralizing all of them.
Odour removal keeps your home smelling fresh and also keeps your cat happy when using its litter box. Make sure you choose a cat litter that attacks the odours and neutralizes them. Just masking the smell may not be an effective solution in this respect.
Fast cleanup, which is not messy, is also a significant plus when selecting a particular type of cat litter for your needs. This is where the clumping strength comes into play to leave you with litter that is no hassle to replace and scoop.
It is a good idea to stay away from cat litter which is weak when it comes to clumping because this will obviously leave you with a sticky, smelly mess for cleaning. Today’s advanced cat litters products are designed to clump on contact, making it easy for maintenance and care.
If the litter box is moist, chances are your cat will feel uncomfortable and will not have a positive experience when using the box.
Quality cat litter will absorb the moisture from the cat’s urine and will not allow it to seep to the bottom of the litter box, where it can linger and cause problems. The composition of the cat litter is the biggest determining factor in determining how effective the cat litter is in soaking up the moisture.
The moisture is usually absorbed by the clay or whatever other composites may be used in the cat litter. Different products may work differently in absorbing moisture, so it is worth looking into this aspect when researching the product.
You will also need to make sure that the cat litter does not contain any ingredients which may cause an allergic reaction. If you or your family is sensitive to allergies, you may want to look into an all-natural cat litter that has few, if any, chemicals contained within.
Allergies and respiratory illnesses are a major concern today, and this issue must be treated with caution and vigilance.
If any allergic reactions are experienced, you may want to investigate the composition of your cat litter and make sure it is not the source of the problem. As a pet owner, keeping you and your pets safe and well maintained is a top priority.
Perfumes Or Deodorants
Many individuals have an aversion to perfumes and deodorants, and therefore, prefer that the cat litter box is free of these chemicals, which also may be causing harm to your cat.
When examining a cat litter product, ensure that it is free of these composites by reading the manufacturer’s labelling. Keeping your home as natural as possible and eliminating unnatural scents creates an overall healthier environment.
Owning a pet such as a cat is a responsibility that needs to be taken seriously. Unlike a dog, a cat relieves itself in the home, and you must make sure that the cat litter you use is proper for the job. It is crucial that your home remains sanitary and smells fresh, creating a happy and relaxing environment.
To limit the mess, it is also important that you select the best dust free cat litter that does not fly up once you scoop it and set it in the litter box. We have reviewed five different cat litters within this article, which we recommend as being the best on the market for solving your needs.
There are several features of cat litter that need to be taken into account when finding the right product.
Today’s big trend is to go green, and there are cat litters made from all-natural products that do not damage the environment when the resource is being grown. The all-natural cat litter is also a plus in that it helps to keep harmful chemicals out of your home, which may cause allergies or other symptoms.
Pay close attention to the odour removal process to determine how the odours are attacked and neutralized. There is also the issue of moisture absorption, which will keep your cat comfortable and the litter box smelling fresh. You will want to ensure that the cat litter lasts approximately seven to ten days and is firm clumping for easy cleanup.
Although we did not review any in this article, you may also want to look into the best cat litter mat, which will attract litter off your cat’s feet (similar to a magnet) when it leaves the box. A mat can help keep your home clean and reduce the mess associated with the litter box.
To sum it up, cat litters have come a long way during the past decade in their effectiveness and product content. New combinations of products have been developed which can now eliminate odours almost immediately, absorb moisture and keep your home natural and free from chemicals.
Today, people are extremely conscious of the materials used in the home and are eager to find the best solution for all involved. Keeping your home clean, healthy and smelling fresh entails selecting and using a cat litter designed to do the job effectively.
We recommend looking into the five best cat litter products we have reviewed within this article and determining if they are best for you and your cat. When it comes to your pet’s care, I think we can all agree that they deserve the best.